Whisper words of wisdom…..
I love quotes. I always have. When I have nothing to read or I just do not have time for a good book, I will read quotes on Good Reads website or in old books I have purchased at used book stores. (Love a good used bookstore!!)
Maya Angelou is probably my favorite. She seems to capture my thoughts but only with much better vocabulary!! I had the great pleasure of hearing her speak a few years ago. Just amazing! I love her so much that I have googled to try to find where she would be speaking again. We go to North Carolina-Chapel Hill for an autism study a few times a year, she is a resident of Winston-Salem which is just a short distance from there. I had thought about finding her that way but am convinced they might frown upon that! I often wonder at what point do you become a stalker????
One of my top 5 moments for sure and a huge check off the Bucket List was to hear her speak. Anyway, my favorite quote of hers is “When you know better you do better.” This just sums up everything to me and I try my best to live this way. That being said there are so many things I have done or said in the past where I wish I had a “do over”, but honestly if I took something from that situation, even if it was a bad one, I have to look at it as a positive one. (That’s extremely hard sometimes)
She spoke at Tennessee Tech one night and it was a student sponsored event so tickets were made primarily to the students. I remember standing in line to go in and listening to them talk about how they were “forced” to attend by their professors. I wanted to kick them in the throat!! And the way they were dressed!! Oh my gosh! It was absurd. Like it was an 8 AM class or something!
(I know some of you that have known me for a long time are laughing)
I became interested in quotes while writing a research paper when I was a junior in high school. I chose the assignation of John F. Kennedy so to say there was an endless supply of great, inspirational quotes is an understatement! Well, he and Marilyn Monroe of course. According to the internet anyway! (Again the need for a sarcasm font!!!) One of my DIY projects is to print some of my favorite quotes, have them framed, and put them all throughout the house. Hopefully soon!
- “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals”― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- “The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.” ― Mark Twain
- “She who laughs, lasts.” ― Mary Pettibone Poole
- “I am not a saint unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying.”― Nelson Mandela
- “…Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same…”― The Fray
- “Remember that everyone you meet is afraid of something, loves something and has lost something.”― H. Jackson Brown Jr.
- “A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs, jolted by every pebble in the road.”― Henry Ward Beecher
- “Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.”― J.C. Watts Jr.
- “I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.” — Bill Cosby
- “When you know better you do better.” ― Maya Angelou